Group Beginners Photography Course Brecon Beacons
A one day beginners photography course for 2-8 people in the Brecon Beacons
Learn about digital photography with the expert guidance of Nigel Forster ABIPP, a professional photographer based in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. At the same time you’ll get to see some fantastic scenery! Our Beginners courses assume no previous experience and will enable you to learn the fundamentals of photography in a fun and informative atmosphere. You'll also get a set of comprehensive course notes (with a set of practical exercises) to take away with you which means you can practise what you've learnt over and over again. As one of our recent course members has said ‘this course makes you see things in a completely different way’!
Beginners' photography courses start by teaching students to understand their cameras and how to get the best results from them. They cover the camera and its controls, how exposure and focussing works, composing images, basic photoshop editing and printing.
Who are the courses for?
Anyone with an interest in photography irrespective of age or level of experience. Ideal for the beginner and of great assistance to GCSE, A level, City & Guilds, LRPS, ARPS and Art College Degrees.
Will I be out of my depth?
No!! Whatever your level of photographic skills, our courses are designed to suit your needs. You will be given a questionnaire in advance of the course so you'll learn exactly what you need to.
What equipment will I need?
Any DSLR, or Compact/Bridge camera with settings that can be changed is required. You must be able to control both the aperture and shutter speeds of your camera. "Compact" cameras, without adjustable f-stops, focus and shutter speeds will have their limitations on our courses. However cameras are available to be borrowed FREE OF CHARGE for a specific course. Wet weather clothing and a packed lunch is required for the outdoor part of the course
A typical Full Day lasts about 8 hours and comprises the following:
• Studio based tutorial: technical and creative aspects
• Practical sessions on location (3-4 hours)
• Studio based feedback and photoshop session
You will get:
• Expert tuition from a qualified photographer
• Comprehensive course notes in digital form
• The chance to explore Wales's great National Parks!
WHAT WE COVER
We cover Technical skills*
• Getting to know the essential settings on your camera
• Taking control - using manual settings.
• Taking control - Focussing and Depth of Field
• Using different focal lengths and their effect on your image
We cover Creative understanding*
• Eliminating basic errors
• Top 10 guidelines to effective composition
• Understanding Light and Colour
• Photographing moving water and long exposures
We cover Digital camera and processing techniques*
• How to prepare an image in Camera RAW
• Converting images to black & white
• Adding contrast or colour / tonal change to an image
• Removing unwanted objects!
All Day courses run for 8 hours and include:
• 1-2 hour studio based tutorial session which covers a range of techniques and subjects. This will also allow time for identifying any individual preferences we can work on during the outdoor session.
• 4-5 hour session on location. We visit 4 to 5 stunning locations in the Brecon Beacons, each providing a different photographic opportunity and each will make you want to come back for more.
• 1-2 hour digital processing session where you’ll learn how to process and enhance your images.
• All day digital photography tuition from Nigel
• All transportation to and between photographic locations (up to 4 people only).
• Comprehensive instruction handouts in digital format.
• Refreshments during studio based tuition sessions
• Loan of photographic accessories if needed
- Lunch (bring packed lunch or available in the village)
- Accommodation (available locally on request)
Essential InformationThe IDEAL photographic requirements (which are NOT prescriptive) for the day are:
- Basic requirements - Camera (& lenses if separate from camera) / Memory Card with room for 250 images / camera manual / card reader / full battery preferably a spare
- Optional (but bring them if you have them!) - Tripod / Remote release / Polarising Filter / Neutral Density filter / Graduated Neutral Density filter / any other gadgets you have!
We can assist with some of these if required. Our course notes also provide information on equipment.
- Suitable wet weather walking clothing and walking shoes / boots (although sometimes best to be barefoot in seawater as I'm sure you're aware!).
- Packed lunch and preferably water or other drink.
- Emergency contact details